Veterinary Assistant (Temporary)
temporary - full-time - Pueblo
Assists in all aspects of the Surgery Center in an efficient and professional manner. Works cohesively with all departments of the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public by handling the drop offs coming in for surgery in the mornings and post-op instructions after surgery at the end of the day.
- Explains risks of anesthesia, nature of the procedure being done, and post-op care and has client sign paperwork and make arrangements for picking up later in the day.
- May schedule surgery appointments for HSPPR adopters and post adoption medical treatment in accordance with established protocol.
- Assists the veterinarians with patient exams by providing proper animal restraint, obtaining a medical history from records, performing tasks and treatments as directed, and filling medications.
- Animal handling to include kenneling animals after surgery and retrieving animals for owners following appointments within the surgery center.
- Assists during surgeries by providing animal restraint, assisting with pre-medication administration, and overseeing recovering patients.
- Answers the telephone as needed, provides information to the public, and assists customers.
- Cleans kennels and provides animal care as directed by the Veterinary Services Manager.
- Computer data entry and record keeping according to established protocol.
- Checks and re-stocks supplies as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Schedule may include weekend and holiday work.
Skills / Requirements
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Prior animal handling and customer service experience required.
Who Are We? The first of only two AAHA accredited shelters in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas Counties as well as the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 200+ employees. We are an organization that celebrates and prioritizes diversity and inclusion. A drug test and background check are mandatory for employment.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff.
Health Insurance ~~ 401K with employer matching up to 4% of salary ~~ Dental and vision* Insurances ~~ Supplemental Group Insurance* ~~ Short and long term disability Insurance ~~ Paid time off ~~ Holidays ~~ Direct Deposit ~~ Personal Pet Perks
(*) Employee pays the full premium
The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualified employer. To learn more about this program, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/.
The core values of the staff unite us and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization, and our community.
Core Values Statements-
- Compassion: We believe that animals matter. We are committed to treating animals and people with kindness, respect and compassion.
- Stewardship: We are accountable and transparent in our actions and in the use of our resources to build trust in those we serve.
- Integrity: We believe we can make the greatest impact by staying true to our mission, always doing what is best for the animals and people of our community, and by standing united in our decisions.
- Excellence: We are passionate about our mission, and strive for excellence through continual learning, innovation and the development of our board, staff and volunteers.
- Collaboration: We seek strategic partnerships and alliances to advance the welfare and protection of animals and people.
- Service: We exist to serve our communities and operate with this commitment to serve as front and center in all we do.
Pay: from $15/hour
Job Status: Full Time,Contract/Temporary