Community Wellness & Shelter Veterinarian
** Sign-on Bonus!! ** 4 day work week! ** Work with a highly skilled, dedicated, fun team! **
Responsible for ensuring high veterinary medical standards and quality of service in the Shelter and Community Wellness Program. The Community Wellness Program will offer two days of wellness services in Colorado Springs and two days in Pueblo for pet owners in financial need. Services will encompass spay/neuter, vaccinations, wellness and sick appointments to bridge the gap that currently exists for access to veterinary care for low income clients. The Community Wellness and Shelter Veterinarian will be scheduled for two days per week in the wellness clinic, and two days per week in the shelter at either location. In the shelter, veterinarians are responsible for medical care, surgical procedures to include sterilization of dogs, cats and rabbits, dentals, amputations, mass removals, eye surgeries and other medical procedures as needed in a high volume setting for shelter animals.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Veterinary Medical Care
- Adhere to veterinary care protocols for shelter and public animals at the HSPPR Colorado Springs and Pueblo locations.
- Ensures sound veterinary medical practices and oversees veterinary medical care related to shelter and public patients.
- Sets standards and performs spay/neuter and other surgical procedures for shelter animals.
- Performs spay/neuter for owned animals through the donor subsidized spay/neuter program.
- Set standards and performs medical care for shelter and surgery related post adoption patients.
- Responsible for compliance with all laws pertaining to controlled drugs.
- Responsible for assessing animal health.
- Forensic examination of animal abuse and neglect cases and necropsy related to Animal Law Enforcement cases. Testifying in court may be required in some cases.
- Responsible for enhancing professional knowledge and skills.
- Participates in daily medical rounds.
- Responsible for staff development through teaching, mentoring and training.
- Keep staff informed on latest relevant medical techniques and information and encourage stimulating interchange of medical knowledge.
- Mentor and train veterinary intern.
- Works directly with clients through the Community Wellness Program, providing excellent client education and patient care.
- Investigates and responds to medical concerns and complaints internally and externally and reporting results.
- Represents HSPPR in professional and confident manner.
- Treats everyone with respect and contributes to teamwork.
- Ensures any decisions, policies or procedures are effectively communicated to the appropriate staff and department.
- Maintains effective communication with staff through daily contact, in scheduled meetings, daily medical rounds, informally or in writing, as needed to coordinate and direct medical functions in the shelter and Surgery Center.
- Able to lead by example and facilitate good working relationships through teamwork and collaboration. Projects a calm, professional demeanor and positive attitude.
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Graduated from an accredited veterinary medical college – DVM or equivalent.
- Licensed to practice in the State of Colorado.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in veterinary medicine.
- Experience in high volume spay/neuter clinic and/or post graduate surgical training.
- Demonstrated aptitude in clinical medicine and surgery.
- Experience in animal welfare and shelter operations a plus.
- Demonstrated success in working with a diverse team of professionals, skilled in managing varied relationships and successful at facilitating collaboration and cooperation.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Communicating effectively, verbally and in writing, in a diverse range of audiences and settings.
- Excellent communication skills including give/receive feedback.
- Working the hours necessary to accomplish targeted responsibilities.
- Practices excellent quality medicine and upholds the veterinary code of ethics.
NOTE: The job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
Why work for HSPPR?
- Sign-on Bonus!
- 4 day work week
- No on-call requirement
- Generous CE stipend and paid time off to attend training.
- HSPPR is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualified employer. Visit?https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/?to learn more.
- Staff veterinarians have their license and AVMA PLIT renewal covered.
- VIN, AVMA/CVMA and ASV memberships covered.
Who Are We? The first of only two AAHA accredited shelters in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas Counties as well as the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 190+ employees. We are an organization that celebrates and prioritizes diversity and inclusion. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment.
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
Core Values Statements
• Compassion: We believe that animals matter. We are committed to treating animals and people with kindness, respect and compassion.
• Stewardship: We are accountable and transparent in our actions and in the use of our resources to build trust in those we serve.
• Integrity: We believe we can make the greatest impact by staying true to our mission, always doing what is best for the animals and people of our community, and standing united in our decisions.
• Excellence: We are passionate about our mission, and strive for excellence through continual learning, innovation and the development of our board, staff and volunteers.
• Collaboration: We seek strategic partnerships and alliances to advance the welfare and protection of animals and people.
Pay: from $88,000/year
DOE w/Sign-On Bonus!!
Job Status: Full Time