This position, primarily based at our Pueblo shelter, shares the HSPPR mission of a compassionate community where animals and people are cared for and valued.
The Communications Specialist supports and assists with internal and external communications to raise brand visibility, promote the organization’s impact, and help attain targeted revenue goals through media relations and social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Instagram, blogs, and the HSPPR website. Serves as primary contact for media in Pueblo.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Community Relations Manager, this position will work effectively with other members of the Philanthropy team and other organization departments to share the story of HSPPR’s impact in the community and ensure strategic goals and objectives are achieved.
Social Media Campaigns
Brainstorm and create daily social media content relevant to followers and the strategic plan, including distributing news, sharing success stories, asking for donations, highlighting adoptable animals and shelter programs, marketing events and fundraisers, shooting and editing promotional videos, and more.
- Assist in maintaining a social media content calendar.
- Develop social media ideas and fundraisers to increase philanthropic support of HSPPR.
- Conduct social media outreach on common platforms to grow fan base and increase awareness of organization in community by furthering HSPPR brand identity.
- Use best practices to write posts to maximize engagement on posts.
- Respond to reviews of HSPPR on external sites such as Yelp, Google, and Facebook.
- Coordinate with multiple departments to bring newsworthy and relevant stories to supporters utilizing social media strategies and tactics.
- Assist with the daily social media correspondence and interactions with followers in a timely manner. Apply crisis communications strategies when necessary.
Pet of the Week Program
- Aid the Community Relations Manager with the Pet of the Week Program. Choose adoptable animals to highlight in social and traditional media spots.
- Demonstrate successful copywriting strategies for written Pet of the Week placements.
- Must be able to think under pressure, liaise with members of the media on a weekly basis, meet tight deadlines, and handle anxious or excited animals in an appropriate and positive light.
- Act as Pet of the Week segments as spokesperson on radio and television often.
- Draft and edit press releases for media, pitch news stories, respond to media requests (including weekends), arrange interviews and appearances, and draft talking points for interviews, acting as spokesperson when needed.
- Assist in events to showcase programs or new services at HSPPR.
- Cultivate and maintain ongoing relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets to increase public awareness and a positive image for HSPPR.
- Assist with internal and external communications for employees, customers, and other stakeholders that comply with HSPPR’s philosophy, branding, and business objectives.
- Aid in development projects by contributing ideas, stories, pictures and copy for e-blasts, grant writing, fundraising campaigns, etc.
- Assist in the development of key messages and themes to promote to applicable audiences.
- Assist in the creation, implementation, and successful measurement of communications plans.
- Draft, edit and post blogs on a regular basis to ensure key messages are promoted.
- Track, monitor, and report on media and social media analytics for monthly board report
- Assist in Internal Communications by motivating staff with ALE Weekly Challenges and Barking News program as well as drafting weekly internal newsletter to ensure all staff are in-the-know about what is going on in the shelters.
- Assist with brainstorming and contributing content for regular email correspondence with donors.
- Represent Philanthropy Department in Pueblo and assist in all Pueblo philanthropy needs.
- Meet regularly with Pueblo community members who spread HSPPR’s mission in the city of Pueblo.
- Assist in the preparation for City and County Council meetings to ensure key messages are being heard.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Schedule flexibility a must. Evenings and weekends required as needed.
- Represent HSPPR at events as required.
- Committed to the mission, values, goals, and success of HSPPR.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Help the community and donors recognize the daily, life-saving work HSPPR does by sending pictures and stories to the Philanthropy team
- Aid the Philanthropy team with stories and photography opportunities whenever possible.
- Ensure a safe work environment. Follow all safety guidelines and model safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns and that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
Material and Equipment Directly Used
- Knowledge of and ability to use common computer software.
- Animal safety equipment, including harnesses, transport kennels, etc., used regularly.
- Work is performed in an office setting within an animal shelter and care facility.
- Consistently exposed to animals in the workplace and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
- Regularly sit at a computer station and operates electronic equipment.
- Able to occasionally drive to/from scheduled pet of the week segments.
- Frequently lift, carry, and position objects weighing up to 30 pounds when moving supplies and assisting with special events.
- Typically stand, bend, stoop and crouch while working special events.
- Regularly moves about the campus to coordinate work.
- Schedule flexibility a must. Evenings and weekends required as needed.
- BA/BS required, with preferred emphasis in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years of experience in communications, media relations, or marketing. General social media experience required.
- Demonstrated solid writing and editing experience. Ability to write in a variety of voices and be clear, concise, and consistent.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy a requirement.
- Superior presentation skills and excellent on-camera communicator. Must be able to think under pressure.
- Able to independently manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously.
- Experience working with a variety of computer applications, including desktop publishing, graphics, spreadsheets and databases. Adobe Creative Suite knowledge preferred.
- Experience with photography and videography.
- Familiarity with the Pueblo community and media preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Knowledge of animal behavior and animal handling experience preferred.
NOTE: The job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
Who Are We? The first of only two AAHA accredited shelters in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas Counties as well as the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 190+ employees. We are an organization that celebrates and prioritizes diversity and inclusion. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff. These include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching up to 4% of salary Dental and vision* Insurances Supplemental Group Insurance* Short and long term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays the full premium
The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualified employer. To learn more about this program, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/.
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values:
- Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
- Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
- Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
- Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
- Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Pay: from $40,501/year
Job Status: Full Time