Certified Vet Tech or Experienced Vet Assistant - Shelter Medicine FT COS
Provides high level of patient care for animals in the Surgery Center to include blood draws, IV catheter placement, nursing care, anesthesia and surgical preparation. Provides assistance with surgical procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public by handling the drop offs coming in for surgery in the mornings and post-op instructions after surgery at the end of the day. Explains risks of anesthesia, nature of the procedure being done, and post-op care and has client sign paperwork and make arrangements for picking up later in the day.
- Works with Staff Veterinarians and Veterinary Services Manager in developing and adhering to current treatment, vaccine and medical protocols. Assists the veterinarians as required with treatments and medication orders.
- Administers treatment to Surgery Center animals, provides excellent patient care and ensures proper diets are provided to animals.
- Maintains medical/surgical treatment records and reports in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with HSPPR procedures, updates records in the shelter database. Maintains drug logs for all controlled substances.
- Communicates with customers and other shelter staff concerning the health of animals in the Surgery Center. Answers general questions about HSPPR procedures and veterinary care of animals.
- Assists in the maintenance of the Surgery Center and facility equipment to assure cleanliness and safety.
- Assists with Euthanasia as required.
- Cleans kennels and provides animal care as directed by the Veterinary Services Manager.
- Cleans and disinfects the Surgery Center kennel and health care areas to ensure they are maintained in a neat and organized manner.
- Works with and provides training as required for externs and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
Associates degree in veterinary technology from an accredited institution. Must possess a current Veterinary Technician license.
Successful completion of a veterinary technician internship and a minimum of two years of prior experience in a full service veterinary hospital or animal shelter environment.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Schedule: Sun to Weds 7:30am to 6:00pm
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching - up to 4% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values
- Active Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
- Responsible Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
- Mindful Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
- Passion for Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
- Embrace Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Job Status: Full Time