Associate Director of Marketing & Communications - COS
The Associate Director of Marketing & Communications manages communications activities across all campuses that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation and is responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of marketing and public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Director of Marketing & Communications is an ambassador for the organization and builds relationships within the community. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Associate Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for varied and integrated marketing and communications products and services, including print materials; media, social media, and public relations; website design and functionality; email marketing and online fundraising strategies; and the creative direction of all deliverables.
Vision, Strategy, and Leadership:
- Develops and implements an integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to advance HSPPR’s brand identity; broadens awareness of its programs and priorities; and increases the visibility of its programs.
- Creates marketing/public relations strategy to cultivate and enhance relationships with high level external audiences, including the media, donors, and adopters.
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, working with leadership team and staff to recognize marketing and communications opportunities and solutions, as well as establishes a productive work culture.
- Serves as marketing and communications subject matter expert and provides proof of performance through analytics and other research.
- Oversees the day to day activities of the marketing and communications department (within the Development Department), including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Supervises Youth Education Manager, Community Relations Manager, Digital Content Specialist, Annual Giving Manager, and Events Manager.
- Establishes and monitors staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, and establish priorities.
- Utilizes performance-based management when counseling and evaluating staff. Submits evaluations on time and encourages continuing education for staff as it relates to the organization’s needs. Recognizes good performance and counsels staff to correct problems.
- Develops strategic and annual marketing and communications plans and budgets in collaboration with the CEO to build community awareness and affinity for the organization.
- Manages department budget and solicits pro-bono services from existing or new relationships to maximize resources. Encourages the use of volunteers and the solicitation of monetary and in-kind donations whenever possible.
- Creates and implements branding training for staff and prepares and coordinates effective presentations for use with external and internal stakeholders.
- Responsible for the overall marketing strategy for HSPPR, delegating projects as needed.
- Develops content and layout for HSPPR publications. Plans and develops all collateral materials including posters, fliers, brochures, and signage. Manages brand approval and print orders.
- Manages website content and layout based on industry best practices.
- Oversees messaging and content creation for branding and fundraising email campaigns and other digital outreach.
- Works collaboratively with the development team to plan and implement online giving strategies.
- Works with community leaders and other organizations to promote and increase public awareness of HSPPR’s mission and service.
- Oversees content and communications strategy for social networking sites.
- Serves as a spokesperson on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercises judgment in prioritizing media opportunities, and prepares talking points, presentations, and other supporting material as needed. Coordinates media training for staff as necessary. Responds comprehensively during times of crisis.
- Actively engages, cultivates, and manages press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversees customer service functions via social media and email, and provides quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting the mission, services, programs and events.
- Is visible to staff and communicates with President/CEO on significant developments within the department. Communicates pertinent communications framework information to managers and staff, and problem solves with managers when necessary.
- Serves as the public spokesperson for all special events, including Fur Ball, Whisker Ball, and Pawtoberfest. Provides overall planning support, coordinates event program and emcees, and develops marketing strategy, including print, web, and other multi-media advertising collateral.
- Works with development team to coordinate donation strategies and cultivate existing and potential donors through innovative marketing and communications tactics.
- Works with Grants & Corporate Giving Manager to implement sponsorship strategies and plans. Carries out sponsor action plan as it pertains to communications and marketing. Cultivates existing and new sponsorship opportunities.
- Promotes giving opportunities as appropriate and coordinates requests for use of HSPPR brand for promotional and sponsorship purposes.
- Committed to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR.
- Practices and encourages the humane treatment of animals.
- Is flexible with scheduling and available when away from the facility as needed to meet the needs of the organization. Attendance is expected at public relations and fundraising events.
- Ensures a safe work environment following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices. Takes immediate action to address any safety concerns.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
- BA/BS with preferred emphasis in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in communications, media relations, and marketing, with solid writing and editing experience. Equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated success in managing a diverse team of professionals, skilled in managing varied relationships, and successful at facilitating collaboration and cooperation.
- Knowledge of animal behavior and animal handling experience preferred.
- Superior presentation, writing, and analytical skills, plus demonstrated skills to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to engage in “big picture” thinking, while also carrying out detailed tasks.
- Experience working with a variety of computer applications including desktop publishing, graphics, spreadsheets, data bases. Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Demonstrated success in working with website communications.
- Experience managing projects which require staff and outside contractor involvement and contributions.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to balance multiple projects, interdisciplinary teams, and complex logistical issues.
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise complete discretion when dealing with confidential information.
- Extreme flexibility and adaptability, a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate broad responsibilities and shifting priorities.
Who Are We? The Only AAHA Accredited Shelter in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching at 5% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values:
Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.