Assistant Shelter Manager
This position will be responsible for the direct supervision of the AC Team Leads and AC staff and the work flow for all areas. Will maintain regular presence in kennel areas to provide staff support and to ensure quality animal care is being provided. This position is responsible for controlling and organizing the productivity, accuracy and maintenance of a positive and professional organizational culture and overall output of the department. The Assistant Shelter Manager will act as the leader and reports to and is responsible for providing feedback to the Shelter Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Including by not limited to the following
- Apply policies and procedures to provide for the daily needs of all animals
- Ensure kennels are sanitary and well maintained and animals well cared for
- Be point of contact for volunteers
- Serve as liaison between staff and volunteers
- Ability to explain policies and procedures to volunteers and fellow employees
- Be aware and able to handle internal and external conflict. Work with Shelter Manager to resolve conflict and promote open communication between co-workers and management.
- Required to perform any Animal Care job duty as needed.
- Scheduling - ensure appropriate staffing for efficient work flow.
- Provide “floor supervision” providing guidance, feedback and / or additional training.
- Ensure section check lists are reviewed AM for completion and follow up with staff if not completed.
- Provide coaching for minor disciplinary actions and document and report the feedback to the Shelter Manager and HR Manager.
- Assist in keeping all training manuals, checklist and tests up to date.
- Solicit employee input and if appropriate utilize on decisions affecting their work and work place.
- Assist Shelter Manager is managing AC interns or students.
- Assist with payroll.
- Maintain 1st report of injuries.
- Assist in hiring decisions by providing feedback and participating in the interview process.
- Assist with performance staff evaluations.
- Assist Shelter Manager and Animal Care and Placement Coordinator with the Due Out list and other reports as required.
This position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations within the Animal Care Department.
Skills / Requirements
Our ideal candidate will bring to HSPPR the following combination of skills, knowledge and experience:
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns and that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Power washers, spray nozzles, foamers, chemicals for cleaning and safe animal handling equipment such as but not limited to catch poles, cat tongs and squeeze cages.
Knowledge and ability of common computer software.
While performing daily duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
AA degree in related field or completion of sufficient coursework to successfully perform required duties of the position, and equivalent of three (3) years of paid fulltime progressively responsible related experience or any equivalent combination of education and paid experience working with animals in a kennel, shelter, or veterinary hospital. One year experience as a supervisor required. Advanced training and / or instruction in field of animal care preferred. EBI (euthanasia By Injection) certification required at time of hire or ability to obtain within 6 months. Must possess excellent people skills as well as organizational skills. Conflict management a plus. Possess the ability to make decisions when necessary in accordance with Society policy. Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, experience with Microsoft Office and Chameleon software a plus. Must be 21 with valid Co Driver’s License and good driving record required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups.
Ability to add and subtract.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations. Ability to think critically about a situation and apply the best possible solution.
Who Are We? The Only AAHA Accredited Shelter in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching at 5% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values
- Active Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
- Responsible Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
- Mindful Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
- Passion for Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
- Embrace Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Job Status: Full Time