Volunteer Services Specialist FT COS
The Volunteer Services Specialist assists in overseeing the volunteer experience here at the shelter, is responsible for the new volunteer process, will provide the administration of the Senior Citizen Pet Companionship Program, may serve at the support staff for the Foster Care program, and will assist the Volunteer Services Manager in general administrative duties, and other HSPPR staff with occasional animal-related tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Including by not limited to the following
- Attends and assists with Volunteer Information Nights and Volunteers Orientations.
- Responsible for the onboarding process of new volunteers including but not limited to reviewing applications and background checks, confirming volunteer fee payments, contacting applicants, performing phone interviews and scheduling calls, sending out training materials, and any follow up as needed.
- Assigns new volunteers within a department or program. Helps monitor volunteer schedules. Moves volunteers to new positions based on volunteer interest and shelter need, if necessary.
- Regularly schedules and monitors general volunteer training sessions including contacting trainers and scheduling classes.
- Maintain and cultivates relationships with both onsite and foster volunteers.
- May assist with overseeing the pickup and return of foster animals; assuring foster volunteers have all the necessary supplies, paperwork and information regarding the foster animal.
- May assist foster volunteers during the foster process as needed, answering questions and providing support as necessary, including helping foster volunteers with difficult times and decisions, such as death, etc. Provide ongoing assistance, coaching and moral support to foster volunteers.
- May need to attend appropriate training for foster volunteers, including but not limited to Foster Volunteer Orientations.
- May assist with scheduling any follow-up or re-check appointments for foster animals with the Surgery Center, including but not limited to spay/neuter surgeries, splint changes, suture removal, and radiographs rechecks. Also assists schedules and conducts booster vaccine, recheck, and drop off times with foster volunteers, ensuring foster animals’ follow-up vaccinations, dewormer, and any other medications are given on time.
- May assist to ensure foster animal locations and information is accurate in Chameleon. Maintain appropriate record keeping of foster animals on a daily basis, including medications and current status.
- Oversees and administers the Senior Citizen Pet Companionship Program.
- Attends fundraising events, such as Fur Ball and Pawtoberfest. Along with the Volunteer Services Manager, manages volunteers at events.
- Provides regular feedback to volunteers, monitors and manages the individual volunteer experience at HSPPR, works with Volunteer Services Manager to develop and implement recognition system for all volunteers, including all volunteer recognition events.
- Communicate effectively with staff and volunteers so pertinent parties are informed of volunteer issues/information.
- Maintains appropriate records in database on volunteers and keep records up to date; performs data entry.
- Liaison to volunteers, provides feedback and answers to FAQ’s, provides problem solving, addresses animal behavior issues.
- Communicates with potential volunteers and current volunteers in a timely manner.
- In conjunction with the Volunteer Programs Manager, provide coaching and feedback to volunteers.
- Assists with Volunteer Appreciation Week and other volunteer appreciation events.
- Problem solve with staff from other departments regarding kennel and shelter procedures and animal needs.
- Assists to maintain the Volunteer Room, Dog Park, and other volunteer areas neat and stocked with all necessary items and equipment.
- Promotes a safe work environment, actively monitors the safety compliance of staff and volunteers; takes immediate action to correct hazards.
- Represents HSPPR in a professional light and promotes our mission and goals.
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
Our ideal candidate will bring to HSPPR the following combination of skills, knowledge and experience:
Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring to HSPPR.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns and that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk.
Material and Equipment Directly Used
Knowledge and ability of common computer software.
- Regularly sits at computer station.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of forty pounds with reasonable accommodations.
- Typically stands, bends, stoops and crouches.
- Consistently exposed to animals in the workplace and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
- Periodically drives a HSPPR Vehicle to perform duties
- Occasional weekend and evening work.
Required to work occasional evenings.
- Have college degree (preferred) or formal training in animal-related field.
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Have a passion for animals.
- Understand dogs, cats and small animals, as well as have first-hand experience with them.
- Have the ability and the confidence to work with all types of dogs, cats, and small animals when needed.
NOTE: The job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
Who Are We? The Only AAHA Accredited Shelter in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching at 5% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values
- Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
- Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
- Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
- Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
- Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Pay: from $12/hour
Job Status: Full Time