Staff Veterinarian - Colorado Springs FT
Responsible for ensuring high veterinary medical standards and quality of service in the Surgery Center and serves as a clinical practicing veterinarian. Oversees shelter Medical Care, drug and treatment protocols, performs surgical sterilization of dogs and cats in the Surgery Center to include high volume and pediatric spay/neuter.
Our ideal Staff Veterinarian will work with other veterinarians to fine-tune animal care protocols at the HSPPR Colorado Springs location. Ensure sound veterinary medical practices. Set standards and perform spay/neuter and other surgical and medical care for shelter and post adoption animals. Assure compliance of all laws pertaining to controlled drugs. Assess animal health. Oversees and develops protocols to maintain or improve herd health. Responsible for enhancing professional knowledge and skills. Participates in daily medical rounds for animals.
Skills / Requirements
Who We Seek:
• Graduated from an accredited veterinary medical college – DVM or equivalent.
• Licensed to practice in the State of Colorado.
• Experienced in high volume spay/neuter clinic and/or post graduate surgical training.
• Demonstrated aptitude in clinical medicine and surgery.
• Experience in animal welfare and shelter operations a plus.
• Demonstrated success in working with a diverse team of professionals, skilled in managing varied relationships and successful at facilitating collaboration and cooperation.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• Communicating effectively, verbally and in writing in a diverse range of audiences and settings.
• Excellent communication skills including give/receive feedback.
• Giving what is necessary to accomplish targeted responsibilities.
• Practices excellent quality medicine and upholds the veterinary code of ethics.
Who Are We? The Only AAHA Accredited Shelter in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching at 5% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values:
Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Job Status: Full Time