Hospital - Certified Vet Tech, Vet Tech or Experienced Asst [VA] - FT COS
Summary: Provides high level of patient care and appropriate follow-up in conjunction with the veterinarians' direction for all animals in the shelter requiring medical treatment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fills all medications from a central pharmacy and ensures all animals receive the appropriate medication.
- Works with Staff Veterinarians, Veterinary Services Manager, and Shelter Manager in developing and adhering to current treatment, vaccination and medical treatment protocols. Assists the veterinarians as required with treatments and medication orders.
- Administers treatments per the veterinarians’' orders and provides excellent supportive care for all injured and ill animals.
- Provides direction and triage for incoming animals in need of medical attention.
- Maintains medical treatment records and reports in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with HSPPR procedures. Updates records in the shelter database with information regarding the health status of each animal and appropriate follow-ups.
- Communicates with customers and other shelter staff concerning the health of animals undergoing treatment. Answers general questions about HSPPR procedures and veterinary care of animals.
- Communicates on a daily basis with the shelter veterinarians regarding the status of animals in treatment. Brings concerns forward and triages priorities throughout the day by working with shelter staff.
- Communicates on a daily basis with the shelter manager and animal care and placement coordinator regarding the health status of animals available for adoption and strays requiring medical care.
- Reviews all sicks slips by examining and medicating as needed, following medical protocols, and moving animals to appropriate isolation areas as indicated. Assists with processing new animals. Provides medical support for animals in foster care.
- Assists with Euthanasia as required.
- Preforms in-house laboratory testing as needed, to include fecals, skin scrapings, blood work, etc. Calculates appropriate drug dosages and fluid rates for patient care.
- Cleans and disinfects kennels and health care areas as needed to ensure they are maintained in a sanitary and organized manner.
- Provides proper diets for hospitalized patients and charts everything related to diet and eliminations.
- Cleans and disinfects parvo ward and provides all care and treatment for parvo patients.
- Works with and provides training as required for externs and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
- Associate’s degree in veterinary technology from an accredited institution. Must possess a current Veterinary Technician license.
- Successful completion of a veterinary technician internship or one year prior experience in a full service veterinary hospital or animal shelter environment.
- Regularly sits at computer station.
- Must be able to lift, push, and pull a minimum of forty pounds with reasonable accommodations.
- Must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time.
- Typically stands, bends, stoops and crouches.
- Consistently exposed to animals in the workplace and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
- Periodically drives a HSPPR Vehicle to perform duties.
Schedule may include weekend and holiday work
Schedule hours - Four (4) 10-hour shifts Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat 7:30 am to 6:00 pm
Who Are We? The Only Shelter in Colorado AAHA accredited!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas Counties as well as the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 190+ employees. We are an organization that celebrates and prioritizes diversity and inclusion. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff. These include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching up to 4% of salary Dental and vision* Insurances Supplemental Group Insurance* Short and long term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values:
- Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
- Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
- Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
- Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
- Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Job Status: Full Time