Community Relations Specialist, Pueblo FT
In anticipation and contingent upon an expected pending contract to be awarded, we are seeking a highly qualified Community Relations Specialist primarily based at our Pueblo location at 4600 Eagleridge Place, Pueblo, CO 81008. This position, shares the HSPPR mission of a compassionate community where animals and people are cared for and valued. The Community Relations Specialist supports and assists with internal and external communications to raise brand visibility, promote the organization’s impact, and help attain targeted fundraising goals through media relations and social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Instagram, blogs, and the HSPPR website from our location
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Community Relations Manager, this position will work effectively with other members of the communications team and other departments to share the story of HSPPR’s impact in the community and ensure strategic goals and objectives are achieved.
Social Media Campaigns
· Create daily social media content relevant to followers and encompassing the goals of the entire organization, including distributing news, sharing success stories, asking for donations, highlighting adoptable animals, featuring shelter programs and services, marketing events and fundraisers, promoting business sponsors, shooting and editing promotional videos, and more.
· Coordinate with multiple departments to bring newsworthy and relevant stories to supporters utilizing social media strategies and tactic
· Assist with the daily social media correspondence and interactions with followers in a timely manner. Apply crisis communications strategies when necessary.
Pet of the Week Program
· Aid the Community Relations Manager with the Pet of the Week Program. Choose adoptable animals to highlight in social and traditional media spots. Demonstrate successful copywriting strategies and promote animals in person on television and radio segments when needed.
· Must be able to think under pressure, liaise with members of the media on a weekly basis, meet tight deadlines, and handle anxious or excited animals in an appropriate and positive light.
· Screen media calls and respond quickly and appropriately, and serve as spokesperson when required. May require some weekend and on-call work.
· Manage crisis situations in line with overall HSPPR communications strategy.
· Provide support for and/or coordinate advertising/marketing, media relations, website communications, email communications, creative editorial and design services.
· Coordinate, write, and edit articles for HSPPR publications.
· Assist with internal and external communications for employees, volunteers, customers and other stakeholders that comply with HSPPR’s philosophy, branding, and strategic objectives.
· Connect employees and volunteers with HSPPR’s mission utilizing communications and branding strategies.
· Coordinate participation in events on campus and off, when deemed appropriate, that provide opportunities for sharing HSPPR’s commitment to the community.
· Provide quality customer service to employees, volunteers, and customers while actively promoting our mission, services, programs, and events.
· Promote donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
· Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
· Schedule flexibility a must. Evenings and weekends required as needed.
· Represent HSPPR at events as required.
· Committed to the mission, values, goals, and success of HSPPR.
· Appropriately documents observed animal behaviors utilizing objective language as required in relevant procedures and/or policies.
· Perform all other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
Whom We Seek:
BA/BS required, with preferred emphasis in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, or related field.
· Minimum 2 – 3 years of experience in communications, media relations, or marketing. General social media experience required.
· Demonstrated solid writing and editing experience. Ability to write in a variety of voices and be clear, concise, and consistent.
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy a requirement.
· Superior presentation skills and excellent on-camera communicator. Must be able to think under pressure.
· Able to independently manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously.
· Experience working with a variety of computer applications, including desktop publishing, graphics, spreadsheets and databases. Adobe Creative Suite knowledge preferred. Experience shooting and editing video and taking pictures a plus.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
· Knowledge of animal behavior and animal handling experience preferred
Who Are We? The Only AAHA Accredited Shelter in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching at 5% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values:
Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Pay: from $35,880/year
Job Status: Full Time