Certified Vet Tech or Experienced Vet Assistant - Shelter Medicine
Provides high level of patient care and appropriate follow-up in conjunction with the veterinarians' direction for animals in the shelter requiring medical treatment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fills all medications from a central pharmacy and ensures all animals receive the appropriate medication.
- Works with Staff Veterinarians, Surgery Center Manager, and Shelter Manager in developing and adhering to current treatment, vaccination and medical treatment protocols. Assists the veterinarians as required with treatments and medication orders.
- Administers treatments per the veterinatians' orders and provides excellent supportive care for all injured and ill animals.
- Provides direction for the evaluation center staff regarding animals undergoing treatment.
- Maintains medical treatment records and reports in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with HSPPR procedures. Updates records in the shelter database with information regarding the health status of each animal and appropriate follow-ups.
- Communicates with customers and other shelter staff concerning the health of animals undergoing treatment. Answers general questions about HSPPR procedures and veterinary care of animals.
- Communicates on a daily basis with the shelter veterinarian regarding the status of animals in treatment. Brings concerns forward and triages priorities througout the day by working with shelter staff.
- Communicates on a daily basis with the shelter manager and animal care and placement coordinator regarding the health status of animals available for adoption and strays requiring medical care. Completes "treatment review form" daily for determination of treatment candidates.
- Reviews all sicks slips by examining and medicating as needed, following medical protocols, and moving animals to appropriate isolation areas as indicated.
- Assists with Euthanasia as required.
- Preforms in-house laboratory testing as needed, to include fecals, skin scrapings, blood work, etc.
- Cleans and disinfects kennels and health care areas as needed to ensure they are maintained in a sanitary and organized manner.
- Works with and provides training as required for PIMA students and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills / Requirements
Associates degree in veterinary technology from an accredited institution. Must possess a current Veterinary Technician license.
Successful completion of a veterinary technician internship and a minimum of two years of prior experience in a full service veterinary hospital or animal shelter environment.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Schedule: Sun to Weds 7:30am to 6:00pm
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 160 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching - up to 4% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Aflac Group Insurance* Short term disability Insurance Paid time off Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR Operating Values
- Active Compassion: We believe that kindness and respect toward animals is an essential element in building a more humane and civil society. We work to elevate empathy and behavior in order to prevent animal cruelty, exploitation, and neglect.
- Responsible Stewardship: We will responsibly manage expenses and revenue, acting for the long-term greater good of the organization, conserving our resources and preserving our environment.
- Mindful Integrity: We encourage honest dialogue about issues and solutions. We are willing to explore all options and listen to all perspectives to arrive at the best decisions. We take responsibility for our behavior –every action counts.
- Passion for Excellence: We make a difference every day. We are committed to the safety and protection of people and animals. We foster a learning environment, encourage new ideas, and care enough to provide constructive feedback.
- Embrace Collaboration: We are united in the pursuit of our mission. We will be known as an organization that is inclusive, fair, and transparent. We expand and develop partnerships to further our mission.
Job Status: Full Time