Animal Care Supervisor
full-time - Colorado Springs, CO
This position supervises the daily work of 10-20 animal care and processing staff and is responsible for the support, coaching and evaluation of approximately 5 animal care and/or processing staff. The AC Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that animals are properly cared for and processed each day. This is a working supervisor position; position will be responsible for animal care and/or processing duties each day.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises animal care and processing staff
- Works with other supervisors and managers to allocate work among animal care and processing duties
- Ensures high-quality animal care is occurring at all times
- Applies policies and procedures to provide for the daily needs of all animals
- Maintains kennels so they are clean and disinfected
- Provides floor leadership by providing guidance and feedback to staff and volunteers
- Assists management with writing and maintaining SOPs and training materials
- Schedules AC and processing staff each week
- Communicates appropriate issues to management; if issue is urgent and AC management is not available, reports to Human Resources or other director or manager.
- Performs daily exam reviews, vaccine boosters, spay checks and health/weight checks as needed. Assists processors as needed.
- Assists with supplies and animal food inventory
- Performs all tasks and assignments that animal care and processing staff perform
- Performs euthanasia lead responsibilities
- Assists with training of staff and volunteers
- Attends scheduled and impromptu meetings
- Independently and collaboratively solves problems
- Communicates effectively with other HSPPR staff on animal care and intake issues
- Assists with interviewing and hiring of new staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Utilizes performance-based management when counseling and evaluating staff and sets measurable goals for employee growth.
- Submits evaluations on time and encourages continuing education for staff as it relates to the organization’s needs.
- Recognizes good performance and counsels/coaches staff
- Committed to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR.
- Appropriately documents observed animal behaviors utilizing objective language as required in relevant procedures and/or policies.
Position supervises animal care and processing staff on a daily basis and is responsible for HR duties for approximately 5 Animal Care Technicians, AC Tech 2s and/or Animal Care Specialists. Positions could be animal care or processing positions.
Skills / Requirements
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in animal science, other related field or equivalent experience
- Two years of professional experience working with animals in an animal welfare, zoological organization or other animal care field desired
- Certified to euthanize at HSPPR required; if not currently certified, must become fully trained and certified with 60 days of start date
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Supervisory experience desired
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to utilize effective problem solving and decision-making skills
- Knowledge of veterinary care/animal health desired
Who Are We? The first of only two AAHA accredited shelters in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas Counties as well as the City of Centennial. We employ a total of 200+ employees. We are an organization that celebrates and prioritizes diversity and inclusion. A drug test and background check are mandatory for employment.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff.
Health Insurance ~~ 401K with employer matching up to 4% of salary ~~ Dental and vision* Insurances ~~ Supplemental Group Insurance* ~~ Short and long term disability Insurance ~~ Paid time off ~~ Holidays ~~ Direct Deposit ~~ Personal Pet Perks
(*) Employee pays the full premium
The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualified employer. To learn more about this program, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/.
The core values of the staff unite us and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization, and our community.
Core Values Statements-
- Compassion: We believe that animals matter. We are committed to treating animals and people with kindness, respect and compassion.
- Stewardship: We are accountable and transparent in our actions and in the use of our resources to build trust in those we serve.
- Integrity: We believe we can make the greatest impact by staying true to our mission, always doing what is best for the animals and people of our community, and standing united in our decisions.
- Excellence: We are passionate about our mission, and strive for excellence through continual learning, innovation and the development of our board, staff and volunteers.
- Collaboration: We seek strategic partnerships and alliances to advance the welfare and protection of animals and people.
Pay: from $15.80/hour
Job Status: Full Time