Accounting Specialist - Level 2 - FT COS
This position supports the Accounting Department in all areas by maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accuracy with strict adherence to deadlines; addressing inquiries from other departments, and resolving accounting or vendor problems.
Additionally, this position supports HSPPR emergency efforts with the City/County Emergency Support in the event HSPPR CART is activated. All departmental duties are to be handled in an efficient and timely manner always following confidentiality standards.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Process mail, maintaining control over checks and cash received; Prepare checks and cash for deposit processing; Back-up for outgoing mail
Prepare and process Accounts Payable from receipt of purchase order and invoice, to coding and processing and mailing checks; Process payables for shelter programs, entering data into shelter software; Reconcile assigned vendor statements; Research and resolve payables/vendor problems; Request W-9s; Monitor email for incoming invoices
Process daily deposits for various departments; Reconcile deposits and reports daily for various departments; Backup for other reconcilements and processes
Maintain funds and audits for postage machine and various postal accounts
Accurate and speedy entry by touch for Accounts Payable
Correspond, assist, and interact with vendors and all levels of company staff
Reconcilement of daily deposits for several departments; Process incoming mail; Maintain double-custody procedures
Computer skills; Accounting software (Abila preferred); Intermediate Microsoft proficiency, particularly with Excel and Word; 10-Key by touch
Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and documentation; Confidentiality; Multi-task and handle interruptions; Adjust pace to workload; Strong math and typing; Work independently; Good communication; Reasoning; Problem solving
Sit and view computer screen for long periods at a time; Lift 25 pounds
Supervisory Duties: None
Skills / Requirements
- High School or GED diploma with some college preferred; and Accounting Principles.
- 2+ years Accounting, Data Entry, and Customer Service; Intermediate software proficiency, with emphasis on Excel and MS Word, ability to work independently
- Reasoning skills for interpreting and understanding instructions in all forms and taking necessary action within scope of job, as well as for problem resolution; Handle confidential information
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and documentation
- Good communication skills
- Possess ability to read and interpret documents; write routine reports and correspondence; make decisions within scope of duties
- Multi-task and handle interruptions
Who Are We? The First of Only Two AAHA Accredited Shelters in Colorado!
Employment at the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region - Colorado
HSPPR is a nonprofit animal shelter serving El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County and the City of Centennial. We employ almost 200 full and part-time employees. Employees must be 18 years of age, a drug test and background check are mandatory for employment. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer comprehensive benefits to our full-time staff members. They include:
Health Insurance 401K with employer matching at 5% of salary Dental and vision Insurance* Supplemental Group Insurance* Short & long term disability Insurance Paid time off Sick Pay Holidays Direct Deposit (*) Employee pays full premium
The core values of the staff unite and guide us to provide the best service to the animals in our care, our organization and our community.
HSPPR CORE Values:
• Compassion: We believe that animals matter. We are committed to treating animals and people with kindness, respect and compassion.
• Stewardship: We are accountable and transparent in our actions and in the use of our resources to build trust in those we serve.
• Integrity: We believe we can make the greatest impact by staying true to our mission, always doing what is best for the animals and people of our community, and standing united in our decisions.
• Excellence: We are passionate about our mission, and strive for excellence through continual learning, innovation and the development of our board, staff and volunteers.
• Collaboration: We seek strategic partnerships and alliances to advance the welfare and protection of animals and people.
Pay: $17.35 to $19.54/hour
Job Status: Full Time